NISEP uses science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) to place Indigenous secondary students in leadership roles at school, community and university-based events so they gain the confidence, motivation and aspiration to finish school and pursue pathways to tertiary education and employment.
NISEP is a unique collective of Aboriginal Elders and community members, university staff and students, school staff and STEM organisations committed to helping the educational attainment of Indigenous youth in a meaningful way.
We provide in-school, community and university events. NISEP targets high schools from low socioeconomic rural, regional and metro areas. Annually we place around 200 Indigenous students in leadership roles. We are committed to working with our student leaders over their high school studies so as to strengthen their confidence and aspirations.
Our model is unique and achieves its impact by:
- Showing students how to teach science and inspire others
- Working collaboratively and inclusively with local schools and Indigenous communities
- Creating lasting connections with students
- Building confidence and motivation to succeed in school
- Providing access to in-school programs
- Driving peer-to-peer coaching and mentoring
- Engaging in community-based activities
- Providing role models
- Allowing students to experience what university is like
- Creating pathways to higher education
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples should be aware that this website may contain the images, voices or names of people who have passed away.